Thursday, August 19, 2010

Should Voting be a right or a privilege?

Should voting be a right or a privilege? That is the question I have discussed in length with co-workers and friends for several years. Currently every United States citizens who is a legal resident of a U. S. State, and 18 years old on or before Election Day has a right to vote. Most states do not permit an individual to vote if he or she is a convicted felon currently serving time in prison or has been declared mentally incompetent by a court of law.

Many argue that voting is a right; it’s an opportunity to exercise one of the privileges of living in a democratic nation. One of the most critical ways that individuals can influence government decision-making is through voting. When the polls open on Election Day, every citizen over the age of 18 will be able to cast a vote. It is a right we take for granted one that defines our nation as a democracy and a right that allows us to have a say in the country’s running.


There is a belief that because many people had fought for our right to vote, and many had died fighting for the right to vote. It is our duty to exercise the right so we may honor those who sacrificed their lives for this cause.


My position on the right to vote may not be a popular position but here goes. Voting should be a privilege granted only to those who know the positions of the candidate and
how his or her position will not only affect the individual but how it will affect every individual in the United States.

There have been many studies done that reveal an alarming lack of political knowledge among American youth which carries over to adulthood. I myself am very interested in politics and stay current with the political world. I don’t expect everyone to spend as much time watching news programs, listening to talk radio or reading the newspaper as I do. But what I do expect is for individuals to educate themselves before going to the polls. I am always amazed at when I ask young Americans whom the vice president of the United States is and they look at me with a blank stare because they have no clue. But if I ask them who was on American Idol on any given night they can tell me all their names. What does that say about our culture?

I believe that most Americans are intelligent; the problem is that they don’t realize that their vote has consequence on themselves and others. How can an individual make a decision on whom to vote for if they are not familiar with the candidate’s position. Each individual needs to educate themselves on the position of any candidate they are considering backing. Once you educate yourself then you have a better idea on who has your values and will hopefully represent you.


In my circle of co-workers and friends there are those who no matter what the candidate stands for, will only vote democrat, not republican, not independent. I don’t understand that method of thinking. I also have those in my circle of co-workers and friends that will only vote for those who are republicans. I don’t understand that method either. I try to tell them that it does not matter what party a candidate stands for as long as they have our best interest at play.

I believe that each American should have to take a test before they are given the privilege to vote. Look at it this way would you want a person driving if they did not have to pass a test before they got behind the wheel of a car? Would you want to go to a doctor if he or she did not have to educate himself or herself? Would you go to a dentist if he or she did not have to educate himself or herself? Would you want to be taught by a teacher who did not attend school to educate himself or herself? I believe the answer would be no. Doctors have your life in their hands and you want to make certain that they are the best at what they do and that can only happen if they educate themselves same goes for a dentist. Who would want a teacher who didn’t know their facts teaching? I know I wouldn’t, I attend class to be educated and inspired.


So why shouldn’t there be a requirement in place stating that we have to take a test if we want the privilege to vote. Each vote has consequences. My way of life could change drastically as a result of someone else’s vote. I at least want that person to have all the facts before casting their ballot. Asking someone to educate himself or herself should be seen as a positive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment